If you are unaware every Thursday I run Squakbox on Calliflower talking about regulatory issues.
Jim Kohlenberger and about half of our known relationships are unable to participate in the discussions today.
Part of the reason is because Washington is a buzz with new regime planning.
So I am posting in my blog the important facts.
Here is the news of the week.
- voted to approve the use of WhiteSpace
- Approved the redistribution of wealth I mean assets between Sprint and Clearwire
- Approved Alltel’s Tad and the Mr Wizard going to Veriizon Wireless
- The Intercarrier Compensation discussion is in total disarray
California Voters approved taxing VoIP in Los Angeles County, Sacramento, and San Jose
Major changes in Senate have huge implications for us
- Ted Stevens is probably history is some way one scenario is that he is replaced by Governor Palin, the other is a direct loss. He is part of the reason the California laws can exist
- Sununu author of the VoIP Regulatory Freedom Act (2004)
- Commerce Committee loses Senator Smith and keeps McCain (but will not be the leader)
2) Here are the speculations
- FCC Chairmanship has another of candidates the democrats, Commissioners Copps, and Adelstein have been mentioned as well as Lawrence Strickling who is working for Obama already. Also mentioned are Blair Levin, Don Gips, and Julius Genachowski.
- Commerce committee chairmanship will probably be Senator Rockefeller but Byrd and Inouye are also speculated.
- Strong belief that Obama is going to include a Broadband Policy in the economic stimulus strategy.
So that’s the news. Lets See what else we know about on the call.